Biggest Sale! Special Offer!

Get 30% discount on all of our single themes with this coupon code: #30%SALE

Hurry up! *Limited time offer*

Error: Missing required field "updated" – Google Webmaster

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • #9394


    When I was checking my crawl stats, etc. at Google Webmaster, I discovered my website has “Error: Missing required field “updated” for all my pages and post. I have read that the error warning pertains to the date and time for new posts and updates to current content and that not having this can affect Google page rank and traffic. My website is and I use the Clean Retina Pro theme.

    I have spent the entire day so far looking for a solution but can’t find a suitable way to fix this problem. Do you have a fix for this issue?




    Also wanted to add that “Error: Missing required hCard “author” also appears as an error in Google’s structure data testing tool.

    Rabin Shrestha

    Hi theburgernerd,

    We have made a little research and found this article which might help you

    You may have to edit the file. You can search for the appropriate code in clean-retina-pro->library->structure->content-extensions.php


    Hi Rabin,

    Thank you for getting back to me. I’ve seen that link before, in fact I’ve seen a lot of info about it, but where I get stumped is which part of the code do I edit. Before posting for help, I searched that content php and couldn’t figure out where to edit or add such a code because the write up is different than the example given in the link you provided as well as all the other articles I read. Plus within that content file, do I add, edit, or replace the code in each section (ie. page, archives, single post, loop?). If you could give me a bit more to work with than simply directing me to someone else’s help forum then I would certainly appreciate it.

    Right now my game plan would be to do the following (but since my knowledge is very limited, I don’t want to experiment much for fear of crashing my website). This is the current code:

    </h2><!– .entry-title –>

    <div class=”entry-meta”>
    <span class=”by-author”><?php _e( ‘By’, ‘cleanretina’ ); ?> “><?php the_author(); ?></span>
    <span class=”date”>” title=”<?php echo esc_attr( get_the_time() ); ?>”><?php the_time( get_option( ‘date_format’ ) ); ?></span>

    Would I then change every relevant section of the content php to?:

    </h2><!– .entry-title –>

    <div class=”entry-meta”>
    <span class=”vcard author”>
    <span class=”fn”><?php _e( ‘By’, ‘cleanretina’ ); ?> “><?php the_author(); ?></span>
    <span class=”post_date date updated”>” title=”<?php echo esc_attr( get_the_time() ); ?>”><?php the_time( get_option( ‘date_format’ ) ); ?></span>

    Lastly, I noticed the “loop for page” doesn’t have anything like the above.




    Just tried the above with a live test, crashed the site.

    What would be ideal is if Theme Horse updated the Clean Retina Pro to include a fix for everyone, since these things are now a “necessity” for Google and all your clients are subject to this. You guys are the programmers and know your own code inside and out, the customers don’t. If it’s as easy as adding or replacing a few lines, then it should take very little effort on your part to do this for everyone or at least provide a lot more detailed instruction. I really like using the theme and have no issues with continuing to do so (and continuing to pay for it), but only if the theme can stay relevant to the times. I’ve already started looking at other premium theme options and will cancel my account if you are unable to provide a reasonable fix to this problem.

    Sanjip Shah


    Firstly, open this file content-extensions.php. This file is located inside theme folder->library folder->structure folder. Go to lines around 141. Find the following code

    <span class="by-author"><?php _e( 'By', 'cleanretina' ); ?> <a href="<?php echo get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ) ); ?>"><?php the_author(); ?></a></span>
    <span class="date"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php echo esc_attr( get_the_time() ); ?>"><?php the_time( get_option( 'date_format' ) ); ?></a></span>

    and replace with following

    <span class="by-author vcard author"><span class="fn"><?php _e( 'By', 'cleanretina' ); ?> <a href="<?php echo get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ) ); ?>"><?php the_author(); ?></a></span></span>
    <span class="date updated"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php echo esc_attr( get_the_time() ); ?>"><?php the_time( get_option( 'date_format' ) ); ?></a></span>

    Now, these lines of code also appears in other lines (for other functioning like single page, archives etc.). Go to other lines 330, 500, 616 and 737 within the same file and repeat the same. Checked your above code and it looks that you missed to add one closing </span> which may have caused the code to break. Hope this helps.


    Thanks so much Sanjip for posting the code and each line where the change had to be made. It worked perfectly. Just finished live testing it on Google Webmaster and it cleared up every issue.

    Thanks again and have a great weekend.

    Kind Regards,



    ok great

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.